The most personal attitude of artists’ and publishers’mission in the 21th century (as Kamil Kárpáti wrote in his letter to N. L.)
“What is valuable,like golden premiumdepends on the (art)trader and the artist (the Corinthian.) Invention of individuum, and living as an individuum is a matter of the psychiatrist and the client on the sofa. At the end of 20th century an artist is like Noah. An ark builder. There’s only one task in the universal (spiritual)cataclysm, the same as Noah’s. Collecting people. (In lack of a better word: settlement with God) M. doesn’t know of his Noah-like essence. Neither does the Biennale. There’s no other way than building an ark.
How well did Gaál know it! Also Rátkay! Oh God, how did they know it!... Hoping that man’s art will reach Pierro della Francesca once again…”
The same in more academic form:
Publisher Stadium functions as a Foundation
Its main Task: to create and save artistic values in fine arts and literature, in az enduring form, and continuing for the future’s artists to help the hungarian spiritual values to find place inand be a part of the European spiritual heritage.
The Publisher’s programme is based on three principal theses:
1. The artistic work of those writers who were condemned to prison in 1949 for the ideological preparation of the 1956 revolution. They were called the „Füveskertiek” (namely Attila Gérecz, Géza Béri, György Szathmáry, Tibor Tollas, Bálint Tóth, Kamil Kárpáti).
2. The Átlók (Diagonals)Artist Group was founded at Pesterzsébet and worked there between 1960 and 1964. (Pesterzsébet is the 20th district of Budapest with its mall, the frescos, and the lead-glass windows of Sándor Nagy that can be found in the biggest church of Pesterzsébet. Sándor Nagy was a famous virtuoso of the late art nouveu. )
The members of Átlók were fine artists and authors. (Tibor Csillag, Vilmos Czétényi , Imre Gaál, Sándor Juhász, Kamil Kárpáti, Endre Rátkay) They carried out their aims with the synthesis of the universal heritage of the past and literatural, artistic effects of the XXth century’s classical avantgarde. In this way they expressed their credo in the continuity of arts. Their art can be observed in the publisher’s beautiful albums.
3. Kamil Kárpáti established a literar workshop several decades ago. Members for example: Barbara Rózsássy, Anna Follinus, Cili Nagy, Márton Falusi, János Szentmártoni) Members of Új Átlók - New diagonals are among others Károly Szakonyi (author), Sándor Hartung and Miklós Kirják (painters), and Gí ( photographer). They havew close ties to the publisher’s profile, straining for the continuity of art, against anti-art, or artlike things, and against changing trends. The publisher helps the commencement of new talents and publishing their work, holding talent scout year by year.
(in the turnable leaflet besides the short text you may get an inside view into each book)
- Endre Rátkay’s art
- Sándor Nagy’s art
- Pictures book of Pesterzsébet
- The sociology of the sea by György Zsombok Tímár
- A Homeland grows out of the fog by Tibor Csillag
- Disrobement of the new bride by Kamil Kárpáti
- The roman fountain
- Delusion in Venice (photos of Gí)
- Streets under streets
- A drop of Balaton
- World of Imre Gaál by Kamil Kárpáti
- Glass int he Edit Rácz’s art
- The enjoy of watching - photos by Ani Telekes
- Antologies from Új Átlók: Music from the view tower
- Gate of meetings